Le « simple past » est comme son nom l’indique simple.
Pour les verbes réguliers il faut ajouter ED. Ensuite on ne conjugue pas.
I love you –> I loved you
You want to go out –> You wanted to go out.
He talks a lot –> He talked a lot.
La petite difficulté à apprendre est comment prononcer ED. Il y a trois façons.
1 Après les sons T ou D, ED se prononce ID.
Exemples : Wanted, Hated, Mended, Landed.
2 Après les sons « doux » (V, R, L, N, M, Y etc) ED se prononce D
Exemples : Loved, Heard, Programmed, Opened, Imagined, Enjoyed…
3 Après les sons « durs » (T, K, P, SH, CH, S, F) ED se prononce T (c’est le plus amusant)
Exemples : Talked, Punched, Relaxed, Punished, Kissed….
Pour le négatif on utilise DIDN’T à toutes les formes, puis le verbe SANS ED… On dit que didn’t nettoie le verbe.
- I didn’t enjoy the party.
- He didn’t talk very much.
- We didn’t land on time.
Pour les questions, on utilise Did à toutes les formes puis le verbe sans ED.
- Did you enjoy the party?
- Did you hear the news?
- Did he kiss her?
Comme toujours on peut utiliser where, when, what, who, how pour créer une question ouverte.
- Where did they land?
- What did you expect?
- Why did she punch him?
Petites choses à retenir:
pay –> paid, say –> said
stop –> stopped, plan –> planned,
copy –> copied, try –> tried.
A vous de vous entraîner avec ces exercices!
Exercice 1 Ajoutez le verbe avec ou sans ED
- The plane didn’t _______________ on time yesterday. (land)
- I _____________ to my boss this morning. (talk) I said I _______________ my work. (enjoy)
- Did you __________________ to the Radio this morning? (listen)
- I didn’t ____________________ the movie, it was too violent (like). I ___________ the other movie, it was beautiful! (like)
- She ________________ him, he __________________ her, it was very violent! (kick, punch)
- Everyone _______________ this man because he didn’t __________ his debts. (hate, pay)
- I ______________ the piano when I was a child but I didn’t _______________ chess. (play, play)
- What did you ____________ ? (say) I didn’t ___________ anything (say). She _____________ something (say).
- You ________________ tired this morning. (look) Did you ______________ well last night?
- He just __________ and _____________ and never _________________ . (talk, talk, stop)
Lisez ce texte en prononçant ed correctement
This morning I wanted to have breakfast. I opened the fridge but it was empty. So I walked to the shops. I talked with the shopkeeper. She was very nice so I invited her to have a cup of coffee. She said she was busy, maybe next time. I started to walk home but stopped in a park. There was a group of people playing football. I asked if I could join but they laughed and said I was too old. This made me angry and I kicked the ball very hard. The people shouted at me angrily so I ran away.
Exercice 3 complétez avec did ou didn’t et le verbe avec ou sans ed.
- __________ you ______________ the party? (enjoy)
- I ___________ _________________ the party! It was boring (enjoy negative)
- Where __________ you __________________ ? (walk)
- I ________________ in a park. (walk)
- ___________ you _________________ football? (play)
- No, I ____________ _________________ football. (play)
- I __________________ tennis. (play)
- When ______________ the plane _______________ ? (land)
- The plane ________________ at 9pm. (land) It was late!
- ___________ you pay for our drinks yesterday? (pay) No, I thought you ____________ pay)
- _____________ he _________________ the text? (copy) No, he ______________ writing an hour ago. (stop)